Leche flan is one of the most famous Filipino dessert. It is usually served in special occasions like fiesta/festivals, Christmas, parties, etc. I usually make these during Christmas or if I am craving for some sweet treats.
1/3 cup white sugar
400g condensed milk
380g evaporated milk
1-2 drops Vanilla (optional)
- Melt sugar to make the caramel. In a heavy sauce pan over medium heat pour white sugar into the pan and allow it to slowly caramelized. Stir frequently and do not leave sugar unattended as it will burn easily.
- When sugar has liquify and turned to golden brown remove from heat. Pour the caramel into your llanera just enough to coat the bottom evenly.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs and add the condensed and evaporated milk. Make sure that the milk and egg mixture is thoroughly mix. Mixture should be light, fluffy and creamy.
- Add the vanilla essence for added flavor
- Pour flan mixture into your llanera. Ensure that the caramel had already hardened before pouring the flan mixture.
- Cover llanera with aluminum foil
- Steam the llanera with egg and caramel mixture for 30 to 35 minutes
- After steaming, remove from heat and let it cool.
- Best served when chilled.
Enjoy! Have you tasted leche flan before?
Til next time…